Sunday 13 January 2019

Be a blockhead and be proud

He was a clever man, that Samuel Johnson, writer, poet and lexicographer.

But how wrong did he get it here? "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."

It's a well-known phrase, often trotted out, especially to wannabe writers, mainly by those who would prefer you to be something else, something 'more useful'. 

In my case this critic is in my head.
'Why are you wasting time writing when you could be cleaning/shopping/ironing? It's not as if it's going to make you money.'

Even though I'm retired and past the money-earning stage of life the voice still nags. 'Look around you: there's such a lot that needs doing. You could be doing that.'

I self-published my second novel just before Christmas. I've sold maybe five copies.

Even though I don't write to make money I do want people to read and enjoy my writing. And I've reached the belated conclusion that in order to promote, market and sell my books I need to treat it in a more business-like way. If my books were being traditionally published the publisher and my agent would be responsible for all that side of things - although I suspect more and more self-promoting is being left to authors these days.

So as I said in my previous post I've set up Twitter and Pinterest accounts in the name of this blog and I plan to put some serious time and effort in to creating a 'brand', building a following, reaching people who might just buy my books!

Of course, this involves a lot of computer time. And my inner critic is having a field day. 
'Seriously? You think this legitimises your loafing around at a computer all day? When you're going to sell, what? Twenty copies if you're really lucky? Honestly how many people do you think want to read what you write either on here or in a book?'

I'm really hoping I can prove her wrong. At the moment I'm winning the battle to shut her up but I know there'll be times when she has me on the ropes. When that happens I need a sure winner of a blow, a knock-out punch of a snappy retort.

If I ever find it I'll patent it. In the meantime I'll accept that sometimes she'll have the better of me but only in the knowledge that I will return. I feel I should add 'bigger and stronger' but 'puffing and sweating' sounds more accurate.

Do you have a sure fire way of quietening your inner critic?


2 comments:

  1. I'm still working on this, but I am working on hearing my own voice more often, on getting it to be stronger and louder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I physically find it very hard to shout but maybe I shout practise by shouting down my critic!

    ReplyDelete