Saturday 19 January 2019

Real writers in a virtual world

Two days, two getting-togethers, two fellow writers. What could be better?

Day 1: Verdi's, ice cream with Vivien.
Her very exciting news is that she has a meeting with an interested publisher next week. Both highly delighted for her and deeply envious. I cheer myself up by telling myself I can be the mystery person when she is famous and goes on Would I Lie to You? Sort of one step removed fame.

She tells me stories about her life some of which would be dismissed as unbelievable if written as fiction. Hilarious though. 

Day 2: Zinco's, tea and cake with Ann.
Ann has been self-publishing and has spent the last five years learning the marketing and writing businesses, and is full of loads of useful tips.I don't have a notepad with me - I know, basic error - so I make notes on my phone. First helpful hint from Ann: check out EverNote, which will allow me to link to my computer and copy info across directly.  

Many more smart ideas follow. I leave with my head buzzing.

The virtual community is excellent but sometimes real people make a splendid alternative.

real writers in a virtual world
With Ann in Zinco's
Postscript
I'd never been in Zinco's before. Delighted to find it has a book swap corner, games to play, colouring and books for children, plus free doggy biscuits for visiting dogs.

4 comments:

  1. Ann had a splendid time she tells me. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was so full of helpful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much a we'll see occasion on Thursday Liz! Good ice cream as ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat talking face to face. Thanks for the chat. Looking forward to the next one 😊

    ReplyDelete