Tuesday 8 October 2019

A really stupid idea

I'm thinking about doing something stupid. Something really stupid. I've done it before and said I wouldn't do it again but here I am considering it.

And the something stupid is ... NaNoWriMo.

For those who don't know what that is let me explain. During the month of November you set yourself the task of writing 50,000 words of a novel. It's as simple as that. And as stupid as that.

My birthday is in November as is my granddaughter's. November is also Christmas prep month not to mention Guy Fawkes night. This year we're also going to London for a few nights as, ages ago, I booked tickets for the new White Christmas musical. So it's a busy month. Not the sort of month you want to set yourself a task that is hard enough in a boring empty month.

I've done it at least twice before - and have benefited from it - once it's over - but each time I say, 'Never again.' But ...

I have an idea for a new novel. I'm currently working on a sequel to my first novel, This Time Next Year, but I have ideas floating around in my head for something completely different. I fear that unless I do something drastic it will stay, forever, as an idea in my brain.

The thought that I could perhaps take part in NaNoWriMo came to me at the end of September. I told myself if I got organised and did my Christmas shopping early it might be possible. Ten days later I am no closer to getting organised.

Actually that's not true. I have got as far as asking my children what they want for Christmas, however, getting answers out of them is as impossible as doing NaNoWriMo.

On the plus side I have had three almost consecutive days of writing more than 1,000 words on my WIP so that's good. 

What do you think? Are you taking part in NaNoWriMo?

No comments:

Post a Comment