Saturday 12 October 2019

Decision made

I am not doing NaNoWriMo. 

Tempted though I was I realised I would be putting myself under a tremendous amount of pressure at a time when I am seeking to ease the stress, to learn to say no, to relax more.

I have, however, achieved a lot writing-wise this week. On at least four days I managed to write more than 1,000 words on my WIP (sequel to This Time Next Year) and I am very pleased with that. I'm nearly halfway through and have reached the 'this is rubbish, why did I think I could write?' stage. I managed to do this much writing by staying in and not doing anything strenuous with the excuse that I was poorly. (I mean I actually was poorly, but it was also handy.)

I suppose there's no reason why I couldn't do my own version of NaNoWriMo at a time more suitable for me. Maybe over Lent. I tend to need some sort of focus, a reason to do something, and just sitting down and saying, 'okay, I'm going to do this,' doesn't work. Just compare how unsuccessful a dieter I am unless I attend a class.

Yes, I'm thinking Lent might be a good incentive. (In case you don't know Lent is the six weeks leading up to Easter in the Christian calendar.) Sometimes I give up playing solitaire on the computer for Lent; sometimes I do a gratitude post a day. And I always keep it up. So ... I'm going to write it in my diary now for next year. 

Done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment