Thursday 31 January 2019

Use it or lose it - your library!

In the children's section of the library on Tuesday with GrandSon4 I took the opportunity to take a photo. (I was already thinking about Instagram opportunities.)
children's section Pontardawe library
When I was growing up the local library was my second home. I even imagined how I'd furnish it if I could move in there.

I was doubly fortunate in that the library was just down the road from where I lived and it had a large room devoted to the children's section. I'm sure it wasn't as jolly and bright as today's children's libraries are but I loved it. 

Such a lot goes on for children in today's libraries and there's none of that 'shush' nonsense. I asked on FaceBook for people's memories and one lady said that her grandfather used to take her to the library with him but she couldn't go to the children's library until she was seven. When I asked why she said it was because she was too young. Imagine being thought too young for books! And an age being set by the library itself!

It was a struggle for some dedicated pioneers that got free libraries for the masses. Today many libraries are under threat because of funding cuts. Please use and support your local library.


No comments:

Post a Comment