Friday 3 May 2019

The Insecure Writer's Support Group First Wednesday



The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!

I missed the last first Wednesday as I was on holiday - and I'm not up enough with technology to do a timed post - and I'm a bit late writing this post so I hope I'll be allowed to remain in the group.

My tardiness and lack of blogging are the subject of my post this time. Whenever I look on Twitter I see people tweeting about the number of words they've written today/this week and I think, how do they do it?

I'm retired but my days seem full. Grandchildren take up a lot of my time it's true but what happens to the rest? Why do I not have hours to sit at the computer writing? Perhaps here is the crux of the matter: I do have hours to sit at my computer but I am inclined to waste that time. I would argue that it's not a waste if I'm going on Twitter or Facebook with a view to marketing/building my online presence. But that's not true. I browse, get distracted, make cups of tea, think about putting some washing in etc etc.

And I have the idea that I can't possibly work on my novel if I only have twenty minutes to spare. I need a couple of hours of concentrated effort at least. But again that's not true.

I am always writing in my head. Every thing I do I find myself viewing as a potential blog topic or a new direction for the novel, so my brain provides a running commentary. I can make myself laugh or cry with the power of my head writing. But put it on 'paper'? Oh no, that way lies disappointment, the discovery that the words up there don't translate to the brilliant amazing prose I dream of.

So many excuses. 

Last Sunday evening I told myself, 'Tomorrow is the start of a new week. I will be better.' And I have been 'better' this week. More focused, organised and effective. I still have a long way to go but I do enjoy the satisfaction of going to bed knowing I've ticked everything off my day's to-do list.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment