Thursday 15 August 2019

August is for Authors

While in the library on Tuesday I noticed an advert for a series of author talks. I'd missed the first one but the second was yesterday evening so I decided to pop along.

Dr Emma Kavanagh
Dr Emma Kavanagh is a cognitive psychologist who trained armed forces and the police before turning to writing and she's a now a successful author of crime novels. I have to admit I've not read any of her work but I will do now I've heard her speaking.

I assumed it was going to be a talk but it turned out to be a Q&A session. Dr Kavanagh was lovely and very inspirational. She is a real author, with a real agent and publisher and even with a film and television agent! Unwittingly and unintentionally she made me feel like an amateur, which is what I am really. But she was also encouraging saying, 'Don't give up.' She maintains it's the only thing that makes the difference between unpublished and published. I'm not so sure.

One very interesting thing she said was, 'Many teachers will tell you to write what you know; I suggest you write what you want to know.'

There are two more talks in the series. I hope to go along to one at least.
Talks at Swansea Central Library 5.30 pm - 6.30 pm
August 21st   Kate Hamer
August 28th   Rebecca Tope

No comments:

Post a Comment