Wednesday 11 March 2020

Darkness in the humour

My Work In Progress, like the original is amusing, at least I hope it is. That's the intention
anyway.

But even funny novels need a bit of darkness on occasion to ... to ... make the reader appreciate the humour? So I've written a serious bit. I plan another sombre moment later unless I decide one is enough.

I've spent the afternoon working on it and it's quite upset me. I hope it has the same effect on my readers. 

I didn't know about this surprising turn of events until the day before yesterday when it revealed itself to me.  Don't you love it when that happens? When the plot writes itself?

When I was doing a writing course the tutor told me off. She said, 'You create a wonderfully poignant scene and then you ruin it by throwing in a joke.'

She might not approve of mixing seriousness and humour. What do you think? Do you agree that a bit of seriousness goes down well in a light-hearted novel?

P.S. I tried to write the adjective from the word humour but, for the life of me, I couldn't work out how to spell it.

P.P.S. Cartoon has no relevance to anything but it made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment