Saturday 3 October 2020

What's your favourite bookshop?

 Hot on the tail of Poetry Day we have Bookshop Day today, October 3rd, so I'd like to introduce you to my two favourite bookshops.

Cover to Cover in Mumbles opened in 1999 and when the owner retired a few years ago it was taken over by Tim Batcup who has managed to make even more of the small space in the shop.

Confession time: I didn't visit Cover to Cover for many years after its original opening because it had opened in direct competition to what was then my favourite bookshop, Charlotte's Web. Before Charlotte's Web closed down I had the pleasure of working there part-time, and we regarded Cover to Cover with disdain as the newcomer on the block.

But now it's under new ownership I'm happy to call in there when I'm in Mumbles - a rare happening since lockdown admittedly.

My other favourite is part of a chain: is that allowed?

Waterstones in Swansea is housed in a magnificent building, the old Carlton Cinema. I used to go there as a child to see the pictures; now I go there for the words. And is it awfully bad to admit that I sometimes note down titles from the bookshop to order from the library?

But the best thing about Waterstones is its Twitter account, or perhaps I should say, its Twitterer. It's not often that a business tweet is entertaining but @swanseastones is well worth a follow. As are @SwanseastoneGuy and @StinkyPondDog.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you sir for your real spells. My name is Zara Matteo. This is truly incredible and I have never experienced anything like this in my life Before I met you, sir, I tried all the probable means I could to bring my husband back, but I came to realize that nothing works for me and that my husband has developed a lot of hatred for me. I thought there was no hope of reuniting with my ex-husband. But when I read good reviews about how DR WHITE helps others, I decided to send him a message via, wightmagicmaster@gmail.com. to try and I did everything he instructed me and I trusted him and I followed his instructions as he guaranteed me in 48 hours, and just then my ex called me. Sir, we are happier now than ever. Everything looks perfect and so natural! Thank you very much sir for your authentic and indisputable spells. here again his email:

    wightmagicmaster@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cryptocurrency is an online Trading network where by an individual invest a certain amount of purchased coins and earn a formidable return by just sitting in front of your MOBILE / PC. I will teach you on how to mine your To earn up to $6,500 even with a capital of $600
    NOTE; THIS ISN'T JUST BITCOINS OR IT SCAMS❌.
    ITS CRYPTOCURRENCY ONLY��☑️☑️
    DM THE ADMINISTRATOR@
    WHATSAPP: (+17168691327)

    ReplyDelete