Thursday 24 January 2019

From Couch to 80K

As a result of a manoeuvre too complicated to explain I've come across From Couch to 80K Boot Camp. It's 'a free writing podcast that delivers a complete 8 week fiction writing course over 48 episodes.' 

Free and requiring only ten minutes a day sounded intriguing so I listened to the first podcast. Obviously as the first one there was a lot of introductory advice, warnings, instructions, and not much of substance, but I did do the first exercise.

Strictly speaking it will take twenty minutes a day as there is a ten minute exercise to accompany each podcast. Today's sounded simple: write as many names - full names - as you can come up with. Not real people but made up names that could be funny or normal, whatever. 

I managed to create seventy-three - his expectation was of fifty - but it was a lot harder than it sounded. Partly because I had moments when I couldn't think of a single first name at all and panicked, and other times because I came up with a first name only to follow it with the surname of someone well-known. For example, I thought of George and then Clooney.

I would like to add it to my list of mazillion things I want to do in a day but it may be unrealistic. We shall see though. He sounds like an entertaining teacher. If only there were more hours in the day - and night. I need to sleep more too.

No comments:

Post a Comment