Wednesday 23 January 2019

Writing Down the Bones

Writing down the bones
Many years ago, so long I don't remember why, I bought a book called Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. First published in 1986, it is a most excellent book, so I thought I'd recommend it here.

Written in very short chapters it's easy to read and profound at the same time. In one chapter she tells of a friend who was mugged:

'... she immediately yelled, "Don't kill me, I'm a writer"
'Writers get confused. We forget that life and writing are two separate entities. Often we use writing as a way to receive notice, attention, love.'

She goes on later in the chapter to say:
'We want honest support and encouragement. When we receive it, we don't believe it, but we are quick to accept criticism to reinforce our deepest beliefs that, in truth, we are no good and not really writers.
'Stop! Even if it's painful and you are not used to it, just keep breathing, listen, and let yourself take it in.'

Sound familiar?

Now I've re-found the book I'll probably quote some more from it, just because.

In the meantime you can get the book, Writing Down the Bones, at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment