Thursday 26 September 2019

How not to prepare for a Book Fair

I am taking part in Narberth Book Fair on Saturday, having a stall and the opportunity to sell my books. So what is the first thing any sensible person would do?

Make sure they have books to sell, did you say? I agree.

If only I was sensible.

I decided I'd re-issue my first novel, This Time Next Year, with typos removed, on Amazon. Took me slightly longer than I'd anticipated making the changes and re-publishing but got it all done and ordered some copies. The email said they'd be delivered on Friday. Excellent, thinks I, just in time for the book fair on Saturday.

This morning I receive an email saying the parcel will arrive on Monday. What? That's not good enough! They can't do that to me! I am about to get ready for a fight when I decide to check the original email. 

It does indeed say the books will be delivered on Friday - Friday 4th October.

After twenty minutes trying to work out how to contact Amazon I have now sent a very begging letter asking if there's any way I can go and collect my parcel from a depot when it gets close enough. 

I am not hopeful.

It's not the end of the world, I tell myself. I have a few original copies left plus my Dog-walking Club books and - and here you will be impressed - copies of A Cop for Christ that I had the foresight to order before I went on holiday. Not totally stupid you see.

Hey ho. 

Early this week also in preparation for the fair I ordered some display stands. The blurb said they'be delivered between Wednesday and Saturday. They're always early, thinks I, so I went ahead and placed the order. (Note to self: must stop thinking.)

An email from Amazon tells me they'll be delivered on Saturday. No! That's too late! 

Younger Son steps in and offers to order them on Prime for me so I can collect those from him tomorrow. Sadly he can't do the same with my books.

Postscript
I had literally just finished writing and publishing this post when the postwoman arrived. She had a parcel for me: the display stands.

Let's hope book delivery is early too ...




No comments:

Post a Comment