Monday 29 June 2020

We're cleverer than we know

I am a jolly clever person. And so are you. 

We know far more than we think we know - even if we don't know that we know it.

Before I lose myself in a word-hole let me explain. Have you ever wondered why we always say ping-pong or zig-zag rather than pong-ping and zag-zig? No, you probably haven't because when you say it you don't think about it; you just know that's the way it is.

What we're actually doing is obeying a rule of the English language, which is that in a two word phrase the word containing I or E comes before the word containing A, O or U. It's the rule of ablaut reduplication.

Bish-bash-bosh demonstrates the order if there are three words: I, A, O.

Nobody really knows why we use this sequence. Some suggest it's because of the movement of the tongue. One way is easier than the other, flows more smoothly.

Another rule that nobody ever teaches you - not as far as I can remember anyway - is the order of adjectives. Opinion-size-age-shape-colour-origin-material-purpose Noun. For example, the lovely small old rectangular red French wooden serving tray. While you're unlikely to go into quite so much detail in one sentence, if you did you would know without thinking what order the adjectives should go in.

Now I bet you're trying to think of examples to prove these rules wrong.Well, you don't have to go far to find an exception to the adjective rule.

Little Red Riding Hood is fine but what about the big bad wolf?

Oh yes, I remember! Ablaut reduplication! 

No comments:

Post a Comment