Thursday 16 July 2020

A chip off the old self-belief

I gave up submitting to agents/publishers a few years ago because my self-belief was rapidly dying. Instead I went down the self-publishing road. Very occasionally I still submit something but try to avoid it on the whole.

Then yesterday, on Twitter, there was a One Day Opportunity to pitch a Twitter blurb to an agent. I said to myself, 'She probably won't reply but what have I got to lose?'

I had a blurb ready written so it was a simple matter of tweeting it. Here it is:
Rescuing an illegal immigrant.  On the run from a criminal millionaire.  She was only supposed to be making a few sandwiches but now Tabby finds herself in a real life adventure, with her mum, a disgraced policeman, a farting dog, and two homeless friends to help. 

I'd have wanted to know more if I'd been the agent! But she didn't. And what I had to lose I lost: a chip of confidence, of self-belief, even of happiness.

Foolishly I went back today to see how many she'd requested. A lot.

Big big sighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment